Provincetown Portuguese Festival 2017
Provincetown Portuguese Festival
What is the Provincetown Portuguese Festival?
This weekend celebration of the culture and heritage of the Portuguese in Provincetown is an annual event filled with traditional Portuguese dancing, music, and cuisine.
This family-friendly festival features incredible food and entertainment and fun activities for adults and kids.
Favorite events include the Fishermen’s Dinner, the Blessing of the Fleet, and the parade on Commercial Street.
The Blessing of the Fleet
Hundreds of years ago, before a fleet departed on a long and possibly dangerous journey, the bishop blessed the vessels and crew. For over sixty years, Provincetown has honored this tradition with the annual Blessing of the Fleet with a mass at St. Peter’s Church, followed by a festive procession to MacMillan Wharf, and the Blessing of the Fleet ceremony.
General Schedule of Events
- Thursday Night: Dancing under the tent with D.J. Rick Anthony
- Friday Afternoon: Manny Phillips Fishing Derby for Kids (Free) & Lobster Crate Races (behind Surf Club)
- Friday night: Clambake and dancing and music
- Saturday: Traditional Portuguese folk dancers perform, followed by parade, dinner and dancing.
- Sunday: Blessing of the fleet, folk dancers and traditional band concert
And many more events and entertainment for kids and families throughout the day.
We will post the events schedule as it becomes available. For now, take a look at last year’s event schedule to get an idea of what’s to come.
The Portuguese Parade
Celebrate Portuguese heritage at the Portuguese Parade in Provincetown. Floats, fire trucks, traditional music, and dancers fill the streets of Provincetown. Commercial Street is decorated with Portuguese flags crisscrossing overhead.